Oppose any increase in Local Property Tax
The basic theory of the Local Property Tax was that it would raise revenue to properly run the local authorities. Of the money raised through the Local Property Tax, 80% was to be given back to the areas where it was raised and the remaining 20% was to stay in a pot at central government so that it could be distributed fairly to the counties that needed it most. But this has not happened. The government has decided to keep the lot, distributing it to local authorities as required and to pay for Irish Water.
The problem this causes is that government funding of local authorities is woefully inadequate. And to compound matters, urban areas have received far less funding from the Local Property Tax distribution than rural areas.
Local authorities have permission through legislation to vary the Local Property Tax rate by 15%. It is a fear that because the funding from the Local Property Tax is not what was expected, Cork County Council may attempt to fund itself by increasing the Local Property Tax rate.
It is not acceptable that any increase in Local Property Tax would substitute effective management of the Local Property Tax fund as promised by government. I will oppose any increase in Local Property Tax.